Thursday, October 10, 2013

Crafty Mom:: diy wubbanub

I absolutely love wubbanubs! A small, weighted stuffed animal attached to the end of a pacifier is just what my daughter needs. All night she keeps herself awake wringing her hands or spitting her pacifier out. Never heard of a wubbanub? They are distributed at some hospitals and nicu's across the country (unfortunately not ours) or can be found here: http://www.wubbanub.com/home.html (sorry I can't paste a link from my phone!)

I would love to get a wubbanub for Amy! There are just 2 problems with this. First, Amy likes nuk pacifiers and the wubbanub comes with the soothie pacifiers commonly used in hospitals. Trust me, I tried to convert her back to the soothie but she would only gag and give me that look like, "nice try mom, not happening."
The second problem is that my husband wasn't 100% down with dropping everything and running out to buy her a little stuffed pacifier toy. For one thing he knows of my sick obsession with stuffed animals and probebly knew exactly what I was up to (I mean c'mon, it serves a purpose but mostly- it's so cute!) Its not that he wasn't okay with getting one eventually, he just wasn't jumping at the opportunity to spend more money on another little toyish-looking thing for Amy. 
And so I did what I have always done when I want something that I can't get: I made one. 


Ta-da! Homemade wubbanub! It was soo easy! The pacifiers Amy likes have a little lip on the end similar to the soothies the wubbanubs come with. (Just a side note, she used to use the nuk with the plastic ring on the end but I read somewhere that these "gummie" nuks are better because they are one solid piece and lack cravasses for bacteria to hide in. And they're cheaper!) 


All I did was take a needle and thread to the underside of my favorite beanie baby's snout and vwa-la! Amy's very own wubbanub made with things we already owned! My husband dubbed it the chubbanub: a Chelsea-made wubbanub. 




No comments:

Post a Comment